Dealing with rat infestations is one of the pest control jobs that we frequently get called out for. We have many years experience in handling rat problems and over this time we have built a grudging respect for the creature! Here are 10 things you didn’t know about rats:
1 The brown rat and the black rat can be found in virtually every country in the world thanks to their skill at stowing away on ships.
2. Rats’ front teeth grow an amazing 4½ to 5½ inches every year. Fortunately for us, they wear them down by continuously gnawing on everything around such as brick, wood, cement, and other small creatures.
3. A pair of brown rats can produce as many as 2,000 offspring in a year if left to breed unchecked.
4. Rats can tread water for three days and this is why they can survive being flushed down the toilet.
6. Rats will often eat their own faeces for the nutritional value.
7. Rats can fall from a height of 50 feet and remain uninjured.
8. Rats do not sweat. They are able to control their temperature by constricting or expanding blood vessels in their tails.
9. There is a Hindu temple in Deshnoke, India which is dedicated to the rat goddess Karni Mata. The temple houses more than 20,000 rats and many people travel from all over India to pay respect to the rats, which are believed to be reincarnations of Karni Mata and her clansmen.
10. A female rat can mate as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour period.
There is no doubt that rats are extraordinary creatures but unfortunately that doesn’t stop them from carrying diseases and being a massive pest if they invade your home, shed or garage. If you need any help with a rat infestation problem then please give us a call. We would be happy to help.