Bedbugs are tiny blood-sucking insects that can live in the cracks and crevices in and around your bed.
They are attracted by your body heat and carbon dioxide and at night there’s nothing they like more than biting your exposed skin and feeding on your blood!
Spotting Bed Bugs
So how do you spot them?
* If you have an unexplained skin rash or itchy bump this might be a tell-tale sign
* Check your mattress for black spots – these might be their dried faces
* Inspect the crevices and joints of your mattress using a torch and see if you can see them
Bedbugs are capable of squeezing into the tiniest crevice or crack, such as the seam of a mattress or the joints of a bed frame so they can be a devil to spot.
They can also live away from your bed in places like your bedroom furniture, behind mirrors or along the edges of the carpet.
How Bed Bugs Are Spread?
There is a misconception that bedbugs will only appear where there is grime and dirt. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Bedbugs don’t care and they will live anywhere. More often than not they are spread from the outside and they can be transported into your home through luggage, clothing, furniture etc. This is why hotels are terrified of bedbug infestations because tourists and travellers can easily bring them in!
What to do if you have a bed bug infestation?
If you do suffer an infestation then there are a couple of practical measures you can take such as:
* Washing your clothes and bed linen at 60% and tumble drying on a hot setting to kill the bugs
* Thoroughly inspecting your bed and furniture with a bright torch and vacuuming up any bugs that you find
As you can imagine this is a pretty painstaking job and the chances are that you will miss some and not put a permanent halt to the infestation.
The best advice we can give you is to call in the professionals. At Pestbusters we have a range of measures to comprehensively deal with bedbug infestations so if you need any help please get in touch.