Rats tend to be nocturnal creatures so it’s not always easy to see them in the flesh but the tell-tale signs that you have a rat problem are not that difficult to spot. If you notice any of the below in your home, garden or shed the chances are that you have a rat infestation and you will need to take below action:
– Ammonia-like odour
– Scratching noises under floors, in wall or under decking
– Nests of paper, fabrics and plastics
– Droppings which are sausage shaped and dark in colour
– Teeth marks on food packaging
Even if the rats seem to be confined to the garden, you should not be complacent that they won’t get into the home. Rats are resourceful creatures and they only need a gap of about 1cm and they can push their way through. Rats are well known for entering sheds and getting into integral garages. They have also been known to enter houses through cat flaps which can be very distressing for homeowners.
Rats carry all sorts of nasty diseases such as salmonella, e.coli, Weil’s disease and tuberculosis so if you are faced with a rat infestation problem don’t ignore it and take the appropriate steps to eradicate.
Dealing With Rat Problems
If you think that you might have a rat problem there are certain rat control practical things that you can do that will make a big difference. These include:
– Removing food sources
– Making sure bins are secure and closed
– Only use squirrel-proof bird feeders
– Don’t leave pet bowls outside with water in them
– Keep anything they can access in tight sealable containers
– Make sure that any broken air bricks are fixed
– Seal up small gaps around doors
Rats are looking for somewhere comfortable to live where there is plenty of sustenance to keep them happy so if rats have nothing to gain by being in or near your property then they will soon move on.
However, if you have a persistent rat problem then we would always advise calling in professionals who can use tried and tested treatments to eradicate the problem for you and give you plenty of advice about how you can avoid rat infestations in the future.
Here at Pestbusters we have handled many hundreds of rat infestations over the years so if you need any assistance then please get in touch and we will be happy to help.